Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day 1 Of The L A Makeup Show

Today I attended day 1 of The LA Makeup Show hosted by the Powder Group. My friend Chris Guerra (www.christinaguerra.com) and I headed over to Downtown LA where the show was being held and met with a few fellow artists from our makeup/hair forums at the cafe across the street from Cal Mart. The food was delicious and the conversation was quite enjoyable. We got to met Sue (http://www.smmakeup.com/) a lovely makeup artist from Australia, Verity ( http://www.modelmayhem.com/verity ) who is also from Australia but moved out to LA in September, and Angela (http://www.angela-renee.com/) from Sacramento.

After gorging on breakfast we headed to the show, where sadly the checking in process was horribly slow and disorganized. We waited about 45 minutes in line just to get in.

We saw Billy B. (http://billybbeauty.com/) give a lecture and demonstration first. He was really friendly, funny, (and most importantly) honest about the in's and out's of the industry and how even to this day he works for free at times and is still reaching goals he never though he would accomplish.

Here are a couple of pictures from the lecture:


Afterward, we hit the booths to do some shopping. I was amazingly surprised that the only cosmetics I purchased today were some fabulous Face Atelier Lip Glazes (I mentioned them previously in a couple of my posts). They had a great show special, so I picked up three that I needed in my kit as I just ran out of Flamingo and wanted to have a backup of Peach. I also bought Cameo which is a luscious nude...I may buy more colors tomorrow ($28 for three is an incredible deal!).

Other than replacing the Face Atelier glosses, I didn't need any other makeup for my kit *Did I just say that?* so I focused on the basics that I love to buy in bulk at the shows.

I grabbed a big bag of Alcone sponges *LOVE these sponges* and a bag of smaller velour puffs for when I am on set.

My favorite (And most exciting) purchase of the day was the portable airbrush compressor by Sparmax. I airbrush ALOT (like 90% of all my jobs) and I have grown to hate lugging my Silver Jet compressor. Granted, it's not THAT heavy...but it is another piece of equipment to carry (Especially when I have to do hair...I have a backpack for all my hair stuff, my train case for my makeup AND a bag for my airbrush compressor and accessories. It's alot to carry!!). So, needless to say when I researched portable airbrush compressors, this one stood out in my mind:

Not only does it come with a carrying case I can clip around my waist *GASP! I don't have to actually hold it? Sold!* it comes with a hose for the airbrush gun, a battery pack (with charger) or a connection to use if I am near a plug. No more fumbling with my airbrush bag?? Be still my heart!

Chris and I went to lunch with my friend the talented Rachel Rose (http://rachel-rose.com/) who happened to be working at the OCC Cosmetics booth. We had a gab fest over really fattening fast food *we really needed our sustinence ;) * and overall had a great time.

Tomorrow, my friend Laura Judson and I are hitting the show and we are going to listen to our friend KJ Bennett (http://kjbennett.com/) who works with Make Up For Ever give a seminar and then do more shopping!

I have to pick up some Crown Brushes (if we can even get through! That booth was crowded and busy all day!) and I may pick up the set apron from Make Up For Ever. As I have mentioned a few *hundred* times, anything to make my life on set easier is a huge plus for me. I have a little set bag, but the pockets don't always fit what I need perfectly (pockets are either too big or too small generally) but it does the job. The set apron is something you can either attach around your waist OR sling over your shoulder. It has room for brushes, hairspray, brushes, combs, powder, puffs...literally anything you would need to carry on set with you so you can leave your kit in the makeup room. They ran out today *pooh!* but they may have more tomorrow so I am crossing my fingers and I will report tomorrow if I get it or not.

Tonight was a mixer/afterparty for the makeup artists but being the old lady fuddy-duddy that I am, I came home and crashed. Open bar or no, I needed to unwind and relax from walking all day.

I will report day 2 of The Makeup Show tomorrow. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment